This Beyond First Aid Award is a training course designed for those who are involved in both indoor and outdoor sporting activities that require a first aid qualification in addition to providing the knowledge and skills to operate in these different and often challenging environments.
Compliance and Regulatory Requirements
This qualification is aimed at anyone who requires a first aid qualification which covers additional training for working in sport and activity-based sectors.
- Gymnasium Staff and Personal Trainers
- Football, Rugby, Cricket referees and coaches and players
- Martial Arts Instructors
- School Physical Education Staff
Minimum contact teaching hours apply to this course, and training should be delivered in no less than 6 hours. There is no requalification for this course, therefore the original course must be repeated at intervals of no more than 3 years.
There are no formal entry requirements, but we advise that candidates have a minimum of level 1 in literacy or equivalent.
The maximum class size for this course is 12 candidates/1 trainer.
Beyond First Aid supply a minimum of 1 training manikin for every 3 candidates.
This qualification is made up of 1 Unit:
- Unit 1: Sports First Aid Essentials
To be awarded this qualification, candidates must pass the assessments carried out by observation, and achieve a percentage pass in the multi choice paper.
Unit 1 – Sports First Aid Essentials
- Understand the role and responsibilities of a first aider.
- Be able to assess an emergency situation safely.
- Be able to provide first aid to a casualty who is unresponsive and breathing normally.
- Be able to provide first aid to a casualty who is unresponsive and not breathing normally
- Be able to provide first aid to a casualty who has a foreign body airway obstruction.
- Be able to provide first aid to a casualty with external bleeding, including minor injuries
- Be able to provide first aid to a casualty who is suffering from shock.
- Understand how to administer first aid to a casualty with injuries to bones, joints and muscles.